Participants will practise how to use goals more expertly, both to generate major improvements in performance and capability, and to turn long term visions into action plans:
- Understand the range of ways in which goal setting can help performance; and how focused attention from well set goals can improve strategy, motivate persistence, incentivise effort, and increase satisfaction
- Learn about the complementary roles of long, medium and short term goals, and how to use each
- Learn the distinctive importance of outcome, performance, process and learning goals
- Understand the critical characteristics of well set goals, the pitfalls of setting goals poorly, and the important step that SMART goals miss
- Practise turning inspiring long term visions into tangible short term priorities and goals that maintain strategic direction, and prompt and reward action
We commonly use the course as an action planning session for teams: agreeing the team’s or organisation’s vision; turning the vision into a series of short and medium term goals, with responsibilities, measures; and drafting project plan outlines for approval and implementation.